Sunday, August 3, 2008

OK, I am really going to do it this time

I am making it an announcement. I have always wanted to write a book. maybe more than one. maybe I'd really love to be Tom Clancey without the guns and spies. OK, I admit it, I want to write a book and I would love for at least one person out there to read it and say, "hmm, not bad". I'm not asking for New York Times Bestseller List here, although, hey, I wouldn't turn them away.
what has made me say this in public? well, I'm not really saying it in public, I haven't even told the man in so many words. it's easier to write it all out. I did tell my children. the 8 yr old was impressed that I would actually think sitting at a computer and doing something other than a game was in any way interesting. the 5 yr old sort of thought it would be cool to one day go to the library and see her last name on the cover of a book.(ahhh, I knew I loved her...she shares the vision) the baby, well, the baby I think in his own special way was excited for his Momma. in his own special way I mean that he threw a handful of rice onto the floor and said "uh oh". let's hope that's not some sort of premonition of how this all goes down. I do not want to end up splattered on the floor.
well, back to what made me finally really try this. I finished reading the 2nd book in the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. (I know I said before, but please, if you have not read this series, go right now and get them. you will love them) I also was reading her website, and she answered some questions about how she wrote the story, how she got published, etc, etc. I just realized, you know, if I want to do this, then I need to do it. no publisher is going to "discover" me by shopping in Target. I have to actually send the stuff out there. and probably get rejected. and probably never get published. but hey, I can send it out and know that I tried.
Stephenie Meyer wrote something that really caught my attention in her autobiography. she wrote something about how she simply could NOT stop writing the story because it was as if the characters were talking in her mind, playing out the storyline. I am SO glad she wrote that. I'm not the only person out there that has imaginary characters playing out a whole storyline in their mind. minute details. colors. facial expressions. smells. whew, thank you so much, Stepenie Meyer. I thought I was going nuts.
OK, so....when this is nearing completion, I will share what the story is about. I started yesterday and have no idea how many words I typed out during naptime. it is fiction, with a little bit of my real life thrown in here and there. it's a love story, really...with a twist.
now off to make lunches for three hungry littles. a hotdog, a pb&j with no crust, and a fruit platter with cheese. hopefully, none of it will be thrown to the floor.

1 comment:

Amy said...

sounds interesting, Sandi! I would read it!