Monday, June 16, 2008

Vacation Bible School

if you are reading this and are friends with me, please remind me next year that I do not need to volunteer at VBS every year. I simply don't. other Moms don't, why do I? heck, other Moms who have never been to my church bring their kids and drop them off for 3 hours every day for 1 week. and some were there at 8AM trying to drop off. VBS starts at 9. a little free babysitter happy time, anyone?
all in all, where I am is not too bad. it could be a lot worse. however, they forgot to feed us. mental note to bring more snacks tomorrow. I don't function well on 2 cups of coffee and graham cracker until 1PM.


Tuesday 6/17 - well, ladies and gentlemen...we have a biter in the Nursery. broke the skin, blood, the whole deal. I'm sure there will be a nasty bruise on a belly tomorrow. Mom of victim was very nice(moreso than I would have been). Mom of biter was...unconcerned. wondering if this little one has done this in the past and Mom just did not feel it necessary to share that news with us.


Wednesday 6/18 - bite victim did not return. I called the Mom and left a message asking if she was OK, etc. never returned my call. assuming she may have been a bit more peeved than she appeared the day of the incident. biter was there, happy as can be. no further victims today.


Thursday 6/19 - biter and another 2 year old got promoted to the 2 year old classroom. (they had 2 that left on vacation and space opened up....I warned teacher of biter) room was much calmer...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. my child is bound and determined to teach the other 1 year old how to use chairs and any other movable furniture on how to climb to high, unsafe places. he seems to find joy in being up high. perhaps he'll be a pilot. or a high-ride window washer.
in other news, I got to hold a 2 month old baby today:) she was so sweet. her Dad has been watching her M-W, but today and tomorrow, she'll be in the Nursery with us. Luke was not impressed with his Momma holding a baby. he actually grunted at me, fell to the ground at my feet, and did a baby cry impression with a very pitiful expression on his face. it was kind of comical, but he really was so out of sorts over it.

Friday 6/20 - oh my.
2 one year olds, 1 two month old, 2 two year old twin boys. today was supposed to be nice and easy like yesterday was. the twins(the other employee's grandsons)decided that they did not want to finish VBS withthe other 2 year olds. in fact, they made it LOUD and clear that there was no way in H*ll they were going into that room today. so, Grandma say, "oh, they can stay with me down in the Nursery today. we have plenty of room." famous last words, my friend, famous last words.
these 2 are, what a nice person would call, "full of life", "energetic", even, "playful".
I call them little 3 foot tall holy terrors. times 2!
these kids dumped every bucket, turned every toy over, dumped 20 books and then demanded to be fed...all within the first 20 minutes of their arrival. the 1 year olds were awestruck by their destruction power. I was busy with the 2 month old, trying to get a breastfed baby to drink for a bottle is not so easy.
let's just say that by the time the day was over, it took us about 30 minutes to put the room back together.

Saturday 6/21 - no, I did not have more VBS today. tonight was the wrap-up party at the 6:30PM church service. it was fun, the kids all sang and danced and then we had desserts afterwards. (always a good end to the day to have a nice, sugary cake served to you)
but, with all of the thank yous and the recognitions for people's hard work....not one mention to the Nursery staff. again. this always perplexes me that we are not thanked. people just sort of expect us to be there. every single year it's the same. don't know why I was surprised.

No comments: