Tuesday, June 10, 2008

my son, the future mountain climber

so I have mentioned I have 3 children. the youngest was a bit of a "surprise" who has caused us much worry and brought lots of love and happiness into our family. he is a wonderful little charmer. to look at him all you see is this big gummy smile with drool spilling out over his lower lip and these big, bright sparkling eyes. he is truly a very "pretty" child. (well, of course I think so, but total strangers tell me this, too, so don't read this and think , "omg, this Momma is totally full of herself and her brilliant, beautiful children", kwim?)
my children have always been...limber. firstborn child climbs trees, climbs up slides, climbs on top of swing sets....you know, typical heart failure Momma moments at any given time of day. he started this at about age 1. hasn't stopped yet.
my daughter, not to be outdone by a big brother, climbed out of her crib at 10 months old. she could not walk yet, but damn, she could climb! she undid the little crib tent thingy we installed and then we just said "eff it" and turned the crib into a toddler bed. she has slightly calmed down in the climbing department.
which brings us to the baby. he just turned 1.
guess what he can climb?
changing tables....done- got rid of it.
ladders....if it's within his reach, he'll climb it.
windows...not quite sure but I think he must have suction cups hidden somewhere.
stoves...that handy dandy broiler rack is a perfect step stool.
tables....easy schmeasy.
couches...doesn't even break a sweat with these.
stairs...easy as pie.
crib- shut your mouth! he has not figured out as of yet that the crib could be
scaled.(thank you, God, for this 1 safety zone.)
the latest accomplishment was today...his big brother's IKEA loft bed. and he
carried a car up with him, so I'm assuming that means at times he was 1 handing
the climbing.(insert Momma shudder here)

thank goodness he has not been hurt. I, on the other hand, had a minor panic/anxiety attack once I got him safely down and the started to think about what COULD have happened.

and I think to myself, he can do all of this at 1. what does the world hold for him at say, 25? Everest? Kilimanjaro? skyscraper window washer? ski jumper? will he turn to the camera 1 day and say "hi Momma"? I sure hope so.

No comments: