Saturday, September 6, 2008

a little field trip with the kids

well, I looked over my previous posts and I cannot believe I have not once mentioned in here(other than my book list)that I, a Momma, am kinda sorta well really interested in the Twilight series of books and the upcoming movie that opens 11/21(which is a wonderful date...the Friday before Thanksgiving, so it's sort of like a mini vacation for all of us Americans). whew...can you say holy run on sentence?
so anyways, I have read all of the books. yes, even the leaked super secret 12 chapters of the unfinished novel and I loved that, too. (if you have no idea what I'm referring to, please, go here and see what I mean. it is a really fantastic series to read and it sort of just sucks you in. (hee hee, I said it sucks you in.you'll get it after you read the books. I promise, it's funny.)
OK, OK, where does a field trip come into all of this, you ask? why let me tell you. here in the USA, we have a store in most suburban malls called Hot Topic. it's a different kind of store. darkish. very loud music. lots of skull merchandise. t shirts galore of every rock band you have never heard of and also a ton of shirts from TV and movies.
I needed to go in. you see, they carry Twilight merchandise. I will say we balanced all of the skulls and horror themed merchandise with a quick trip to Toys R Us beforehand. so, I was glad/relieved out of my mind that the Twilight shirts were right up front. I was, by far, the oldest person in the store. by about 20 years. so there I was, pushing the Graco with the baby in it, the 5 and 8 year olds in tow behind us, inside Hot Topic. I chose my shirt quickly(I already knew which one I wanted)and then we browsed a bit. the baby was be-bopping away to the music, smiling, giggling at every person who looked at him. his new thing is to wave and say "Ha". they loved him! the 8 year old was enthralled with The Nightmare Before Christmas display. the 5 year old was amazed that apparently, adults wear Miffy and Hello Kitty t shirts(all of the shirts were in adult L and XL sizes???).
and then, I paid for my shirt and got involved into a lengthy discussion on why the salesgirl should absolutely read the 12 chapters of Midnight Sun and how wonderful it is.
my children have now seen my geeky, vampire loving side. they didn't run screaming. my son did ask me if I was going to wear the new shirt "outside of the house". ohhhhh, yes, dear son of mine, yesss, Momma is.

No comments: