Thursday, April 3, 2008

Spring Break used to be fun

I remember when I spent Spring Break as a senior in high school at the beach in a 2 bedroom condo with 12 girls. THAT was a great time.
Spring Break with an 8 year old, a 4 year old and a 1 year old who has not slept through the night all week is NOT fun. don't get me wrong, I love being with my kids. I had all of these ideas of how this SB was going to be.

this is how I had thought it would be...
we would all sleep in until at least 7AM. I did not want to purposely jinx it by dreaming of sleeping until 8AM, so I was perfectly OK with 7AM. that is at least 1 extra hour for me.
we would all spend a lot of time at the park, do story hour at the library, go to the bike trail and ride with little one on the baby seat for the 1st time.
get little one's 1 year pictures done. if you looked at my wall, you would assume I have a 3 month old baby boy.
8 year old son would read everyday and be able to rack up some serious Accelerated Reader points for school and impress his teacher.
4 year old daughter would master all of her letter sounds and begin reading at a 1st grade level. (OK,that was pushing it, I realize that)
baby would sleep for at least 8 hours each night, and take a nice afternoon nap as well.
Momma would get a pedicure.

here's how it all went down.....
these children have been awake at 5AM on some days. wth????? I have to drag them out of bed at 7 on a school day, yet on vacation they expect full service breakfasts and free refills on milk at 5AM???? oh, I think NOT!!!!!!
we have not made it to the bikes. at all. 1st of all, the baby helmet seems to have disappeared. I KNOW we have one. however, it is not with the other helmets, like I know I saw it a few weeks ago and thought to myself, "self, there is the baby helmet. baby will love to go on bike rides! how about you plan that for SB and then we can do it nightly?" 2nd of all, it has been hot as H*ll all of a sudden, and raining every afternoon. plus, I have been exhausted and not exactly feeling up to wrangling a rollerblading child, a training wheeled child and a baby behind my butt on the trails. oh, and story hour? it was cancelled this week...due to SB. are they out of their minds? did they not think that us Moms would need 1 hour of someone else reading and entertaining our children????
no portrait as of yet has been done of the now 1 year old. he is currently sporting a straight line bruise on his forehead from his sister opening the door too quickly and banging his head on it. who wants a portrait of their child looking like they beat him with a stick? not me.
OK, some good news! 8 year old has read everyday(albeit under the threat of no GameCube ever again)and has gotten 2 points so far. so when he returns to school he will get another little dogtag thingy since he has passed the 20 points mark! yah!!!!!!! threats work with him.
4 year old daughter is more interested in math. OK, I can do math. only problem is, all math has to have a Barbie involved in it somehow/someway. me, being the tricky Momma that I am, convinced daughter that 1 particular Barbie was the math teacher to all of the other Barbies and Kens and Kellys and whoever else is in there. it worked for about an hour.
the sleeping baby....he has not slept through the night in over a week. why, you ask? heck if I know. he's eating anything that he can get his little hands on, he's drinking 3 bottles per day and multiple sippy cups of water. he has played with his brother and sister and been practicing walking by holding onto all furniture daily. he likes to trick me, this one. he goes for a while and sleeps really well. just as my body gets comfortable knowing it will have a good 8 hours to sleep, he wakes up screaming at 2 or 3AM. now usually, he will drink a bottle and get a dipe change and go right back to sleep. this week, being SB, he has stayed awake for at least an hour each night. and napping? maybe an hour. this is more due to his brother and sister deciding to declare war and the 4 year old ending up in hysterical, loud screams, thus waking up the baby. and me. I have been trying to catch a nap for 4 days now. haven't caught it yet.
as for the pedicure. I believe Sunday may be my best bet for this. I can leave the house and sneak away and let the children drive the man insane for a while. ahhhhh

No comments: