Friday, April 4, 2008

Power Failures with Children

in case you have not experienced this, let me just tell you what last night was like.

we had a big storm here yesterday. lots of thunder and lightening and wind. never lost power during the storm. we did loose the sattelite, but we always loose that when it's really cloudy. no big deal, kids watched a movie.
so, storm finished at about 9 or so. all kids were safely tucked into bed, asleep. Momma sits down to watch the 11 PM news, just to sort of get a feel for what is happening in the world outside of my house. *BAM* power flickers off and on about 5 times. just enough to trigger the alarm system to make it's really loud BEEEEEEEEP to let you know that the power is out. the answering machine also decides that power failure is the time to speak REALLY loudly saying, "POWER OFF".
needless to say, 2 of the 3 children woke up, crying. because it's dark. and Momma is walking around trying to find an effing flashlight and bumping into everything. I find some candles. in fact, scented candles. my friend sells Partylite(hi E!) and I had some wonderful scented votives that fit the bill last night. I got to the baby and picked him up, he quieted right down. I got the my daughter who was halfway on the ladder/ halfway in bed and crying. I brought a candle, she climbed down and came with us into the master bedroom. the 8 year old was apparently not bothered by the whole ordeal and told me that I was being too loud and he was trying to sleep. so sorry, son...I am sporting bruises on my shins from trying to race to your bedroom to make sure you're OK....but please go back to sleep. we all know how needed sleep is. 8 hours of sleep would feel like nirvana to me at thsi point.
sorry, I digressed.
so, get baby a bottle, get daughter all tucked into my bed. I decide that I should just stay up at this point because the man will be home in an hour or so, and the garage door opener will not work for him, so he'll have to come in through the front door. does he have a key? I doubt it. he's that kind of guy.
baby falls asleep. 4 year old decides it's time to party with Momma. she is telling me stories and singing songs and just being, you know, 4.
I hear the man drive up. I get up and go to the door, and realize at the door that I am wearing a tank top and undies. I really hope at this point that it is the man and not anyone else! lol yep, it's him and he does has a key. he never ceases to amaze me.
so, we all get comfy and go to sleep. I am awakened at 3ish by the answering machine telling me "POWER ON" and the alarm system doing it's BEEEEEP. no one else besides me and the dog awoke. I got up and turned off the lights that had turned on and put the baby back in his crib. 4 year old and the man are fast asleep.
baby woke up at 6.
3 hours of uninterrupted sleep in NOT enough.

No comments: