Sunday, September 16, 2007

I Saved my Husband Thousands of Dollars

we really need new furniture. the set we have in the family room is 14 years old and was not the highest quality to begin with. we have definitely gotten our moneys' worth from Rooms To Go out of it. the plan was to get new furniture after our daughter was 4 or so. (up to age 4 is the highest incidence of furniture staining/ripping/bodily secretions getting on, etc.) well, we were blessed with a surprise 3rd child, and thus, furniture plans have been postponed until this child is 4.(and no, it really will happen this time, there will be no more blessed, beautiful babies coming out of this body...ever...really)this takes me to how I save my husband so much money. I found some slipcovers that work well over leather furniture. the ones I tried before were too slippery and anytime someone actually sat or leaned or just got too close to the furniture, the slipcovers would, slip. off. looking like a rumpled mess of a bedspread that someone chucked onto their furniture. not a good look.I found these slipcovers at Target. they are stretchy and have an elastic bottom. they are wonderful. you can also throw them into the washer and dryer. I bought the loveseat sized one to try, and have now ordered the sofa and chair ones. I have a whole new living room for about $200. the husband has not said a word. he watched me put it onto the loveseat, tuck it all in, and saw the kids try it out. (they were given specific instructions to jump/fall/roll/skip onto the loveseat and sit on it for a while to test it out) it passed the child test, so I'm hoping any adult we have on it will be mainly just sitting and or laying on it. my house is not that exciting that I could hope for anything more.husband is now putting together the new shelves/bookcases I bought (Target) to add some storage to our living room and yes, they match the new slipcovered look of the living room. he's handy with a screwdriver and will usually happily assemble anything if he is able to incorporate a power tool into the project. he is, in fact, off to buy a nail gun later today. do we need a nail gun? our neighbor offered his for us to use, but husband thinks we actually NEED a nail gun for future nailing purposes.

No comments: