Thursday, March 27, 2008

Momma stress

my son just passed his testing in karate and is now a purple belt! he is very excited and I was really proud of him. he had to do 2 sets in front of the entire class by himself, and he did them with such confidence...he looked really great!

now here is my stress. he is in his first karate tournament this Saturday. he will be competing in 2 different categories, both solo sets. yesterday in class, I was eavesdropping, umm, listening to 2 other Moms of older boys. they are competing in the tournament as well, but in their age division/level, they will be sparring. now for those of you non karate folks, sparring is the nice way to say, "kick the crap out of one another and get scored on how well you do it".

umm, I'm not so sure I can continue karate when he gets to this point.(assuming he wants to continue..which so far it looks like it. he loves it.) I don't think I can sit comfortably and quietly by and watch my firstborn baby get hit. I'm not really sure I can watch him hit someone else, for that matter. he's so...cute. and sweet. I'll end up getting thrown out of the audience or something, screaming at the other kid.

and what if he doesn't win? or gets hurt? or what if he hurts someone else? I would be so sad. my God, he will be able to get away with anything if he is hurt. he already has his "sad puppy eyes" face down pat. that works everytime. what have I gotten myself into? this karate stuff is going to make me go get a script for Valium or something.

No comments: